French singer pulls out of festivals amid protests

FILE - In this March 20 2009 file photo, French rock singer Bertrand Cantat, center, attends the funeral ceremony of French rock singer Alain Bashung in Paris. Cantat, who was convicted of killing his girlfriend 15 years ago, the actress Marie Trintignant, has pulled out from all the festivals he was scheduled to appear in this summer amid growing protests from feminist groups and politicans. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

French musician Bertrand Cantat, who was convicted of killing his girlfriend 15 years ago, has pulled out of all the festivals he was scheduled to appear in this summer amid a growing wave of protests

PARIS — French rock musician Bertrand Cantat, who was convicted of killing his actress girlfriend 15 years ago, has pulled out of all the festivals he was scheduled to appear in this summer amid a growing wave of protests.

The 54-year-old Cantat, the leader of former rock band Noir Desir, released a solo album last year and recently started touring. After several dates were canceled by organizers following complaints from women's groups and individuals, Cantat said he took the decision "to put an end to all polemics."

Cantat was sentenced to eight years in prison and served four after beating to death Marie Trintignant in 2003 during a dispute in a hotel room in Lithuania, where she was making a film.

In a statement posted on his Facebook page, Cantat reiterated his "utmost sincere, profound and total compassion to the family and close friends of Marie," but also insisted that he has "paid his debt."

"I wish today, as any given citizen, the right to reintegration," Cantat wrote. "The right to exercise my profession, the right for my close family to live in France without being pressured or slandered. The right for the public to go to my concerts and listen to my music."

He wrote that he understood "being on festival lineups this summer can pose a problem, hence my decision to withdraw." He did not cancel other dates on his tour. A scheduled show in the southern city of Istres later this month was canceled by organizers at the venue.

Cantat returned to the spotlight in October last year after French music magazine Les Inrockuptibles put him on its front cover, drawing criticism from France's gender equality minister Marlene Schiappa amid greater awareness and attention to the issue of violence against women in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Trintignant's mother, the movie director Nadine Trintignant, labelled Cantat's decision to go on stage as "shameful, obscene" and "disgusting."

"I'm wondering what the people going (to his shows) are thinking," Trintignant said on French state TV. "What do they make of the blood, the blows and tears?"

Related News

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah each land a Showtime series

Aug 11, 2016

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah will each star in their own half-hour comedy series for Showtime

Bollywood's Shah Rukh Khan gets US apology for airport stop

Aug 12, 2016

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan tweeted that he gets detained at U.S. airports "every damn time" after he was stopped at the Los Angeles International Airport

Nate Parker accepts Sundance award, creates youth fellowship

Aug 12, 2016

The writer, director, producer and star of "The Birth of a Nation" says the Sundance Institute offered him encouragement and support when he needed it most, and now he hopes to pass that opportunity onto the next generation of filmmakers

Broaden News

Reporter Pass is the only access you need to get into Hollywood. No matter it’s the red carpet event or backstage access, we’ve got you covered.

Contact us: sales@reppass.com

Award ShowsCelebrityPaparazziRoyaltyMoviesMusicTelevision Programs Press Releases